Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 10, 2015

School Dress Code Ticks Me Off...

   Hey guys! It's still me over here. I just felt like doing something random this week. So today I'm going to do a rant. This rant is about the school dress code and how ridiculous the rules are.

    Ok, so I'm in middle school. Yes, at my school there is a dress code. And I've been dress coded a few times. The dress code for girls is UNBELIEVABLE comparing to the guys. For girls, the "dress coders" believe showing your shoulders is more important than your stomach. Now I ask why are shoulders believed to be dress code for girls? WE ALL HAVE THEM! When a staff was asked this they believe it's "distracting for boys". Ok let me just say when has any guy ever said "Hey man look at her shoulders ahah *wink wink*." No way in heck have I ever heard a guy say that. And plus it was just 103  Fahrenheit where I live so can we at least get some cool air on our "revealing shoulders"?
     And the other one, leggings. Now I believe there is two types of leggings. Really thin leggings that you wear under a skirt when it's a little chilly, or leggings that look like regular pants. There's a strict rule about leggings at my school, and you cannot wear them like pants under any circumstances, AND if you do wear them under shorts, dress, skirts, etc., they have to be longer than your fingers when you put your hand down. Now let me say something. Personally I feel like leggings and jeans are similar and different. I agree, jeans are as tight as leggings, but what do you see in one that you don't see in another? It's not like my butt is going to disappear is it? 

     This one is crucial to me. Shorts. The rules for shorts apply by putting your hands down and the shorts must be longer than the tip of your finger. Now let me tell you a funny story. In 6th grade I was wearing shorts on another hot day, probably around 100 degrees. This lady went up to me and looked me dead in the eye. Since I'm a nice person I won't include her name (not like I knew it anyways) , but she told me to put my hands down. Now the shorts were pretty long in my opinion, they were low but they werent high. When I put my hands down, honestly not even a centimeter of my finger passed the shorts. It was spot on, literally. And let me tell you what she did. Yep, I got dress coded. What completely bothered me was the shirt I changed into was given to me by the office ladies. The smell of that shirt smelled of socks and armpits and UGH. And the shirt was so oversized it could honestly pass for a dress. The fact that they dress code me and aren't even prepared to make me change into a normal tee shirt really confused me.
       This dress code rules are crazy and unfair in my opinion. The boys have it easy, basically all their clothes look the same. For girls? No way. Hopefully in the future for my fellow middle schoolers we can show our shoulders in peace and be allowed to consider to not die of heat and wear shorts!

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I have gotten dress coded for the silliest thing before. Honestly, I don't even see the difference between skinny jeans and leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true! A lot of the teachers that dress code are in the air conditioning all day and don't have to worry about heat and discomfort. After PE, all I want to do is wear some comfy shorts. But no. Most of the time I have to put all my effort into forcing on skinny jeans which, may I add, takes a WHILE. And then the PE people start counting down from ten and I flip out and have to run out of the locker room without shoes on. I do agree that SOME clothes are a little inappropriate for school, like short shorts. BUT NOT ALL SHORTS THAT GO ABOVE MY FINGER TIPS ARE SHORT! I just hate living every school day in fear of showing too much skin. If the boys are distracted by my shoulders, which they aren't, they should be the ones being punished. Not us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Why do WE have to suffer for the boys! What kind of logic is that? We apologize for having revealing shoulders but that doesn't mean the girls have to change because of it. Punish the boys!

      Delete
  3. *Comes in wearing tank top* *Boys faint because them shoulders tho*

    ReplyDelete